The eye-catching magic of foil stamping
According to wikipedia: Foil stamping, (also known as foil application) typically a commercial printing process, is the application of metallic or pigmented foil on to a solid surface by application of a heated die onto foil, making it permanently adhere to the surface below leaving the design of the die.
According to First in Print: Foil stamping is a fun and affordable way to make your printed materials stand out! That’s right, I said it was AFFORDABLE, even though it looks anything but!
Foil adds an air of elegance, richness, and quality…
…to just about any printed piece. Foils come in a variety of colors and finishes. From metallic gold and silver, to brightly colored gloss, to pearlescent and fluorescent. With so many options available, the creative possibilities are truly endless!
Some uses for foil include
- Use foil on colored paper stock with no need for printing
- This is great for presentation folders and business cards, as well as bottle neckers and shelf talkers.
- Add foil highlights to a full color printed design
- Like Spot-UV, foil reflects light in delightful ways, maximizing impact! This will DEFINITELY turn heads.
- Couple with embossing for something extra fancy
- These 2 effects are commonly used together for high end pieces.
- Couple with die-cutting or tag stringing to create foil bottle neckers, cones, tags, or wobblers
- Foil is shiny, versatile, and fun! Try foil on your next marketing piece.
Foil works with many beverage marketing products
- Die-Cut Bottle Neckers
- String-Tied Bottle Neckers
- Cone Bottle Neckers
- Sticky Shelf Talkers
- Snap-In Shelf Talkers
- Shelf Wobblers
- Shelf Flags
- Sell Sheets
- Table Tents
Tips for getting the most out of foil stamping
- Bundle up! – Foil stamping does require some extra setup, so it’s best to order more at once to help reduce your unit cost.
- Mind the details – While you can get pretty detailed with your foil design, it’s better and more cost effective to use ink for finer details such as paragraph text and detailed line art.
- Reuse your die – If possible, you can design your foil die so that the same die can be used on multiple marketing pieces. We will keep the foil die in our warehouse until you need it again.
- Go smooth – Foil adheres great on nice, smooth surfaces, such as coated sheets.
- Go all out – Complement your foil stamping with embossing for a truly exquisite look & feel!
Did you know that we can add foil to most of our printed products? With a few exceptions including Fabu-Gloss (with high gloss UV coating), we’ll add foil highlights to any of our offset and digital products. We can even add foil to a StarMarque piece with spot-uv highlights. Request a custom quote to see if foil is right for your next project.
To help you get your foil mojo going, I’ll leave you with some visuals.
The intense contrast between black paper and gold foil!
The subtle embossing effect makes an elegant complement to the gold foil.
Pearlescent foil makes for a truly unique look!
Used heavily by wine label printers, foil has proven to grab shopper attention!
Bronze foil is very trendy right now. It gives a sophisticated, rustic look.
Foil is Bronze, Silver, Gold, and SO MUCH MORE! Think outside of the box with your next foil project.
Photo Credit: DesignInstruct.com